lsdhfsdklj

Goal: To blog our revelations of Asian Pacific American Women (APAW) issues.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

The difference between words...by Karla Henry

      As I have read these articles about Asian American Women and the history about them, I have come to understand why many of them at a certain point get mad when I have asked them if they are oriental without knowing exactly the history about that specific word.  The history of these two words have really amazed me, because I did not know exactly what that was. I come from a Hispanic background where women mostly have the same ideas on how a women should behave and should be categorized. My grandmother raised seven children on her own, with the male figure absent all the time, she was always put down, work hard and expect to be criticized because she was a single mother. I would never imagine how the oriental women history depicts how these women should act, behave and always be submissive to the male figure? 
    I do understand why Asian American Women would get upset if they would be mistakenly asked if they are oriental because there is a huge difference oh how women are today. Asian women have always been taken as exotic and beautiful due to the fact that many of us see the culture and traditions of Asia extraordinary beautiful, their colors, their people, their culture is something that in my experience is always amazing and extraordinary. But what exactly have we come to adore about these women that the media has in some way brought to our eyes as beautiful , without emphasizing the exact history about them? In my experience I have heard many times from other people that Latinas are exotic, what  is exactly exotic to them and what history brigs that word? I do accept that I see it as a compliment when they say Latinas are exotic , but now knowing that it comes as sexual in their minds has really changed my opinion about that. Do we really want to be perceived as exotic? or Should Asian Women just accept the fact that many of us don't know the history behind those words? Should we know that many Oriental and Asian cultures have a different history and learn from it? 
      I do understand now that Asian History is very complex, that I have to be careful  and learn about their culture before  I say or ask something.  Women should be treated equal no matter what history they have. The fact that overtime someone calls someone a word that will signified that you have to be, act and perceived in a certain way should be upsetting to any race or nationality. Women nowadays are very independent, we have come a long way to get the respect that we deserve. i do believe that oriental women and Asian women have similar cultures but different backgrounds. Two different world were the respect for women is not taken for granted, were women will always be the self sufficient, independent Asian women they are now. 
    Their culture will always be admire but it will take people to learn about their history to change the fact that they come and were raise in two different worlds. Nevertheless it's not only Asian American Women that suffer from this differences, but in many different culture women are expected to be the submissive women that they want. In my country many women suffer the same way, the male figure is always expected to be the head of the family and the women to stay home and take care of their children. But why do we in this day still see that? Do we have to take charge and make the difference? I now understand the difference between Oriental and Asian and will never make the mistake of calling someone oriental, specially if I do not know their history. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your thought that we need to understand history behind the consequences. We need to be educated enough not to be victims of discrimination and ones who hurts somebody's feeling. I didn't even know why we (Japanese girls) are seen as girls who are always ready to have sex or guys think that it's easy to have sex with us when I was new in the US. When I took a history class in my college, I knew the reasons. I wonder if there are Asian women who are happy to be called oriental and exotic, and if they know why people see them as oriental and exotic. It is sad if they don't know because it just makes us less valuable. I think only the way to get out of this stereotypical image is to create other image by ourselves.
    Mao Otajima

    ReplyDelete