lsdhfsdklj

Goal: To blog our revelations of Asian Pacific American Women (APAW) issues.

Thursday, December 1, 2011


                              In a family of five, having two older sisters and two older brothers, the girl were always treated more strictly. We are a blended family my mother is Hispanic and her husband is white.  My stepsisters being white had more lenient rules than myself maybe, because of their American culture.When I was in high school, my curfew was 9PM on school nights and 10PM on weekend, on the other hand, my stepsister did not have to be home until midnight.  The boys did not have a curfew they came home whenever they wanted if they decided to even come home. The girls were not allowed date until they where at least 16 years old. However the boys, were having sex at the age of 14 years old.


            Therefore, I can relate to Yen Le's essay, "We Don't Sleep Around Like White Girls Do," because Hispanic and Filipino culture, in certain aspect, are very similar.  No sex before marriage is relevant to Hispanic culture as well. While I was under my mother's household even at the age of twenty-two I was unable to have men even go into my bedroom, even with the door open. I can also relate to Le's prospective of parents caring for their own children rather than have someone else care for them. "Asian parents take care of their children. American have a different attitude. They leave their children to their own resources. They get baby sitters to take care of their children or leave them in day care"(422 Yen Le).  Going back on the essay, Le says that is why American children do not car for their parent when they are too old to care for themselves.  American often put their parent or grandparent in old folks home rather than care for their parents.










            As oppose to Filipino or Hispanic's tend to take their parents in when they are unable to care for themselves.  My mother cares for my grandparent in her household and my grandparent take care of my nieces, and nephews when my mom, and sibling are at work. In our household the man is the king of the house and what they says goes somewhat like what Le covered in the essay as well. For example, "Sexuality, as a core aspect of social identity, is fundamental to structuring of gender inequality'' (Millett 1970).  Women in our household are in the kitchen cooking, and cleaning, whereas the men of the house are in the TV room watching the Niners game.


            American culture is overall much different than Pilipino or Hispanic culture in regard to the up bring of their children. "Americans are so liberated. They allow their children, their girls, to go out even when they are still so young" (Le 427).  Overall Pilipino and Hispanic culture are similar in the aspects of modesty, and family values.



1 comment:

  1. Although I can see why Filipinos have strict rules for their children so they do not end up like “those American girls” I do not agree with this practice. Growing up in a mexican mormon family, I was very sheltered until I entered middle school and high school. Only through school and the new friends I made, were my eyes opened to a bigger view of the world. Being 20 years old, my parents are still VERY strict pertaining to mormon traditions and ethics (my dad was horrified when I drank coffee on thanksgiving) but all the rules they placed on me still did not encourage me to follow them, in fact it gave me more incentive to break them, party, and enjoy life to the fullest. Although I am not a parent, I can see why placing rules on my kids would be to their benefit, but I think explaining to them the consequences of their choices, then letting them make decisions for themselves would be better. In the end, the parents cannot force their kids to abide by their rules, but if they inform them more on their choices perhaps they would make the decisions they would want them to make.

    -Michael Zendejas

    ReplyDelete